Monday, December 14, 2009

Pathetic Tree

Pathetic. I tried to convince myself it wasn’t, but it was. It stood, slightly leaning, its limbs too weak to support our ornaments. I kept encouraging my son to push the ornaments up higher on each branch. Soon all our ornaments dangled at the center of the tree. If I squinted it looked like a skinny-headed alien with a fat bottom had invaded our holiday space.

My husband insisted we go back into the woods and find another. But the boys were happy because they weren’t in the woods, cold and crying---the root of our pathetic find. It was getting dark. So in haste I pointed and said, “Let’s get that one,” a decision my husband and I soon regretted. I humored myself by vainly persuading everyone that it didn’t really matter. I watched from a distance as the boys fingered their ornaments and discussed various memories. It was sweet. Surely I could look past the ugliness of our forest fir.

Then some visitors came over. They smiled politely as I told them I knew how bad our tree was. They even tried to tell me they thought it was fine. “No, it really is bad. Look at the star!”

They looked. The star was no longer vertical but horizontal. They laughed. I was anxious for Christmas, not for the gifts and family, but so I could throw out our tree.

My husband and our oldest trudged back into the woods behind our house and found another. It was beautiful and timely: the second they dragged it into the living room our tree-of-no-splendor collapsed on to the floor. Thankfully no ornaments were smashed in its wake.

I called my sister and said, “Well, we got our second tree.”

She oozed holiday cheer, “Oh, I totally want two trees this year.”

“Uh, no, we don’t have two trees. We threw out our first one. It was really bad.”

No, our act wasn’t practical. It wasn’t environmental. It wasn’t altruistic. It was totally an act of Christmas tree pride, and I’m OK with that. In fact, I’m more than OK. I’m great! It looks good. I think it is our best tree yet... a grand fir with plenty of branches, strong limbs, supportive top, and pleasing overall shape.

The Christmas tree is really the focal point of holiday decorating and cheer, and I’ve learned (in a short span of three days), that if you don’t have one you like...you just won’t feel the Ho Ho Ho of Merry Christmas.



Can you see the limbs? See how they are too weak to hold anything up?





After this shot was taken the ornament was smashed and shattered......a kid-friendly Christmas.



Can you tell how pathetic it is from this position?




This is where it all started....cold, dark, crying kids etc.

I discovered my camera is no good for night shots. So, if that is what you want, stay away from a Kodak Easy Share.

6 comments:

Heidi Pender said...

I think you need to invest in some HEAVY duty snowsuits for those boys. They have a very LOW cold tolerance, which could be a problem in Idaho and the cabin. Get those boys some snowsuits to wear at the beach, in the woods, and for sure in the snow! :)

Rebekah said...

I know, they do not like the cold. B told me last week that he wanted it do be rainy so it would be warmer. And he said he likes the rain better than the sun because when it is too hot he likes to sit in the shade. Very Oregon, right? They tested out their snowsuits today and they still fit. C's coat is a little small, but it'll work for one more winter.

Sarah and the Gentlemen said...

Heh heh. You could have made it a Charlie Brown tree, tied a bow on it, and hung one ornament. It would be like having a famous tree in your house! :0)

Anonymous said...

Mom said that you should have a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. LOL
Christina Morse for mom

Laura said...

You should post pics of the good tree now.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Memories... this is something your kids are likely to remember when they're old and it will seem so nice and whimsical!