Monday, May 23, 2011

Miss Rumphius


I haven't done a book recommendation in a while, but I had to comment on my latest find Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. Reading this book made me tear up with hope for mankind and for lives well lived. I love the Lupine Lady, the main character in this book. She starts out as a young girl named Alice with hopes and dreams and guess what....Alice achieves her dreams. She travels the world and sees exciting places. She is a progressive woman in her time, choosing to remain single and live a full life. As an older lady she decides to make the world more beautiful by planting Lupine seeds. The story is told through the eyes of her niece. I love it and don't want to return it to the library.

2 comments:

Chelsea Anne said...

Remember reading this as a kiddo - great book.

heather said...

This is a very sweet story.