Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Worms and a Backhoe

I love boys. I have three, five if you count the dog and the husband. That is why I love books that connect with boys.

Here are two great picks from our last trip to the library:

I Am A Backhoe
captures the imagination of a little boy, both the character in the book and those reading it. The little boy's arms and legs and hands become different construction site trucks and diggers. When he rides on his daddy's back, he is atop a flatbed truck.




My oldest is done with his truck years, but there was a time when he spent hours in the dirt pushing and excavating, just like the main character in this book.

The other book is Winnie Finn, Worm Farmer. I love that the main character is a girl, but not a girl wearing pink and fairy wings. No, a girl who loves worms. This makes me think of my nephew. He had quite a worm phase. He's moved on to bigger and better bugs and reptiles and creatures of all kinds, but I will always associate worms with his cute two-year-old self.

1 comment:

Woolly Boo® said...

Uh, my son will love the backhoe book... boys will be boys...