Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Raising Confident Readers


If you read my last post, then you know why I checked out Raising Confident Readers by Dr. J. Richard Gentry, at the library.

I haven't read through it yet, but have skimmed it and am very excited to share with you my review of this informative book on reading...to be posted in the near future.

In the "Acknowledgment" Gentry states that his mother was his first reading teacher.

Mine too. No, she didn't sit me down and have me work through phonics charts, although she was capable of this since she taught 2nd grade beginning the year Kennedy was shot and ending the year of 9/11. No, my mother showed me a love of reading and a love of books.

She praised me when I read aloud with expression. She took me to summer reading programs and cheered me on in summer reading contests. She told us that we could stay up late, reading. We had bookshelves filled with children's literature.

Most importantly she read to herself. She always had a book by her side. When she took us swimming down at the river she read on the bank. When the days weren't sunny enough to read outside, she sat in her green chair: tea in hand, book on lap.

Even when we were old enough to read books to ourselves, she read to us. My sister and I sat on either side, listening. These were good times from my grade school summers.

What about you? Who was your first reading teacher? What and who made you love to read?

(If you missed my first post about reading, check it out.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it when mom read to us. Great summer memories of her reading chapter books to us.
-Laura

Anne said...

My parents didnt' have a tv until I was in 3rd grade and I really think this helped. But the real person who gave me a love of reading was my 2nd/3rd grade teacher. She made it fun and goal focused. She also took an interest in me, seeing that my family was dysfunctional and I needed some extra encouragement. :) I did a post about it here if you wanted to read it. :) http://annenunnphotoblog.com/?p=5414
Thanks for your posts on reading. :)

Jessica said...

My mom read to me every chance she got. She even did all the voices. She made sure I was surrounded by beautiful books and stories. I hope I can do even half as much for my children. I'm really looking forward to your review on "Raising Confident Readers." Hearing how your mom impacted your love of reading by reading herself is encouraging. My mom didn't get to read much for herself as she also worked quite a bit, so when I read I wonder if I should instead spend my time reading to my daughter. I feel more confident now that my own reading can be seen as an example.